Jullie: Introducing Simply Snap Meals!


I’m so excited to reveal this new feature on the blog! I do a ton of cooking(/eating) over on Snapchat. And recently, I realized how great Snapchat is for sharing what I'm currently cooking up in the kitchen (yay recipe testing!), sharing  the occasional grocery or market haul, and even recording a few quick product reviews and spotlights. Chelsea and I are both big online shoppers, so we've even done a couple of "unboxing" vids too! (I love that friends/followers can view a story in chronological order! *side eyes Instagram and Twitter's timeline algorithms*) While photos that end up on the blog or Instagram are usually edited shots of an already finished product, Snapchat has definitely become a fantastic way to share the "behind the scenes" process. It's all live and real-time! (#SimplySnapMeals!)

In the last few weeks, I've gotten a bunch of messages asking about a certain step in a recipe or if I'll be posting all of the steps somewhere for reference. I'd also get replies from followers on Twitter and Instagram, saying they don't have a Snapchat and can't see my videos . :( So that's how this new blog feature was born! I saved some of the most popular snaps and put them all together in easy-to-access videos. These are all super simple, quick, and easy recipes or meal ideas! Every week, I'll post a new roundup of favorites!


First up...I get asked about this paleo oatmeal bowl a lot, so I thought I'd finally share the recipe on the blog. Chelsea originally found it on Bravo for Paleo, and this was one of the first things that we both fell in love with back when we did Whole30. This is gluten-free, dairy free, sugar free...thumbs up all around! You can top it with fresh fruit, shredded coconut, nuts or nut butters, and (my personal favorite) ground cinnamon!

Paleo Breakfast Bowl
Ingredients:
1 ripe banana
1 egg
1/2 tbsp coconut oil 
  1. In a small bowl, mash the banana with a fork until smooth, then mix in the egg.
  2. Add the coconut oil to a pan over medium heat.
  3. Add the batter once the pan is hot. Stir continuously and cook mixture for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Serve the "oatmeal" in a bowl and with the toppings of your choice!


Whenever I need a light snack or a sweet treat, I love love love making these chia pudding cups! I use this 3-INGREDIENT recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo! (*They're also really easy to prep the night before, then you can enjoy them for breakfast! Just like the paleo oatmeal, you can use fruit, nuts, and shredded coconut as toppings.) If you're a fan of tapioca pudding or boba pearls, I think you'll enjoy this one, too.

Chia Pudding Cups
Ingredients:
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk (recommended brand: Thai Kitchen)
2 tbsp chia seeds
  1. In a blender or food processor, combine the banana and coconut milk. Puree until smooth.
  2. Pour the mixture into a plastic container, then stir in the chia seeds.
  3. Cover and chill for at least 1-2 hrs. (recommended: overnight) 


Obviously, I cook breakfast a lot over on Snapchat. This is definitely my most snapped meal of the day. :P This little video, though, is more of a tip than a recipe...I just like to "dress up" my scrambled eggs by adding fresh chopped greens and leftovers from dinner the night before. This is great with steak, chicken, or even roasted veggies! In this version, for example, I sliced up some grilled steaks, and for my greens, I used fresh baby bok choy (which  has a great, mild peppery flavor!).


Here's another tip for your oatmeal! Mix in 1-2 tsp of coconut oil! It's so yummy and good for you. :) I also tried Chameleon Cold Brew for the first time, a few days ago. If you're interested in dipping your toes into the cold brew pool, I really liked the Mocha flavor! I also made a cup of cold brew a day, so the bottle of concentrate lasted about a week for me.


Aaand, oh look, another breakfast idea! ;) Cook everything up in one skillet, with a little bit of coconut oil. I also dressed up some La Croix sparkling water with crushed fresh berries. It's a bright and fresh way to start your day. <3


Finally, for a lunch suggestion...I made a big pot of pork adobo last week, so here are a couple of ways I turned leftovers into something new! I like shredding up the tender meat, then adding it to fried rice. In the first version, I topped the rice with a sunny side up egg and Wildbrine kimchi. (I adore this brand!)


In this second version, I charred up some sweet cherry tomatoes in the cast iron skillet. And one more tip when it comes to fried rice: SEASON WELL. Even though the adobo itself has salt, you'll still want to balance out the plain white rice with some seasoning. I like to use a couple teaspoons of soy sauce (or coconut aminos, for a gluten free/low sodium alternative!) and a light sprinkling of sea salt and cracked black pepper.

I hope these videos inspire you to get in the kitchen and get a little creative with your meals! And if you follow along on Snapchat, we always love to hear your feedback! Always feel free to send a message our way if you have any questions or comments about a recipe. :)


For a roundup of all of our social media accounts, visit our CONTACT page.