Jullie & Chelsea: The Whole 30 Challenge Begins

For the next few weeks, we'll be posting any Whole30 recipes that we try/love and any tips we feel like sharing on Instagram. We expect this to be a fun, new experience and would love to share it with you all! :) If you'd like to look into the program for yourself, here are a few helpful links to get you started:

Chelsea: I don't know about y'all, but while 2015 was a great year for me in a lot of areas, I struggled with my health. I was sick a lot and for long periods of time. I was eating not well and drinking more often because I was in a relationship and we enjoyed going out to dinner or spending nights in with a bottle of wine and some PS4 Jeopardy...Needless to say, I'm not in the best shape health-wise. Not to mention being kind of unhappy with how I look and feel after all of that.

Before Jullie Anne mentioned the Whole30 challenge to me on our Whole Foods date a couple of weeks ago, I had only heard about it in passing. But the more I thought about it, the better it sounded. Less processed, whole, healthy foods is something we should all be doing anyway, but with this challenge (and especially doing it with a buddy), I feel like it holds you more accountable. After cutting out all of the crap that has infiltrated my diet over the last year or so, I'm looking forward to hopefully feeling better overall.

Jullie: Okay. I'm just going to take a second here to mourn all of the things I'll be staying away from for the next 30 days...Rice...Beer...Sugar...Cheese...*makes sign of cross for my beer* I know, I know. We're not supposed to be focusing on the "negatives." Instead, we're supposed to think of the positive effects this will have on our lives. As the program itself states...

Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn once and for all how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day to day life, and your long term health.
Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn once and for all how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day to day life, and your long term health. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.lwSIz43O.dpuf

But still...I'm a beer-and-ball-game-loving kind of girl who also enjoys her Filipino mother's homecooking. You can browse through old recipes and travel posts on this blog. I've never really restricted myself when it came to food or alcohol. So doing this? Whole30? My diet will be getting a pretty major overhaul. Whole30 will absolutely be a challenge. Like Chelsea said, though, I'm happy to be doing this with someone who can keep me in check along the way! (Forecast: 99.9% chance we will be texting each other nonstop updates/product finds/food pics.) There's also something really exciting about setting a new goal and pushing towards a better and brighter version of yourself. I'm looking forward to trying new recipes and getting creative in the kitchen, eating healthier and feeling better about what I put into my body!

xoxo