Jullie & Chelsea: Spring Radish Salad with Apple, Goat Cheese, & Citrus Vinaigrette



Chelsea: Let me just start off by saying that I LOVE watermelon everything in the Spring and Summer months. If it's watermelon or pineapple, it's on like Donkey Kong for me. So when I saw sliced WATERMELON DAIKON in a salad on Jullie Anne’s Instagram (if you’re not following her, what are you doing with your life?), I texted her and said it was time for a blog reunion for some of this magical salad. And here we are today. 

Jullie Anne: I am so, so, so excited for the Spring and Summer months. It's obviously my favorite time of the year for fresh fruits and vegetables and visiting farmers markets. *super dreamy sigh* This salad is really a perfect recipe to kick the season off right...it's bright, and refreshing, yet hearty and yummy.



Jullie Anne: The super gorgeous inspiration for this dish! Watermelon radish! Chelsea and I went on a fun grocery shopping trip to our local Nugget Market, but you can find these at farmers markets as well. Aside from their stunning color, I also love these radishes for the milder, crisp flavor (not as peppery), with refreshing sweet notes. (French Breakfast radishes are great substitutes if you can't find the watermelon variety!)

Chelsea: I honestly first tried these radishes in a salad from the oh so popular Lemonade restaurants all over Southern California and I loved them. Unlike J Anne, I've been a radish girl my whole life. I even eat them raw when they're served with food truck tacos (mmmmm tacos). However, the lighter flavor of these makes them more versatile than the regular red radishes we're all used to. Anyway, no offense meant to Lemonade, but this salad should definitely be on their menu instead. Just sayin'.



Jullie Anne: The sweetness and juiciness of an apple pairs really well with the radishes, and since I happened to have one in my fridge, I sliced up a cucumber and threw it into the bowl too!

Chelsea:
I didn't even think of cucumber! So fancy with your cucs!



Jullie Anne: For the dressing, Chels and I decided to experiment and make different variations of a citrus vinaigrette. Mine had citrus champagne vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and maple syrup. (Honey would have been ideal, but after digging around in my pantry, I realized I was completely out?!?) I wanted a little bit of sweet to balance out all of the tang. Especially since we both wanted goat cheese as an extra topping! 4-peppercorn chabis from Laura Chenel Chevre. *thumbs up*

Chelsea: I went the more traditional vinaigrette route with lemon infused olive oil, grapefruit white balsamic vinegar. Then, because I thought it looked a little boring, I zested an orange and added some fresh ground pepper and sea salt. It was a really nice, light flavor to go along with the salad and it was soooo nice with the peppery goat cheese. 



Jullie Anne: To finish the salad off, all you need are some greens! (We went with a spring mix this time, but I definitely want to try an arugula/herb combo.) Then, sprinkle on the crumbled goat cheese.

Chelsea: I wasn't really feeling the baby spring mix. It was good, don't get me wrong, but next time, I'm definitely going with a more flavorful green to accent the other flavors and give the whole thing a little backbone.



Jullie Anne: This is such a beautiful salad, with simple yet bright and refreshing flavors. It's easy enough to make for a quick lunch or dinner, but it's also eye-catching enough to serve at parties. (Hello, Spring luncheons!) AND, you can make it as a side dish, or just add grilled chicken like Chelsea did, and you have a whole meal!

Chelsea: Again with the learning curve, I'll definitely be marinating the chicken next time. When I made the salad at home, I was trying to be quick about it and just grilled it naked. Not the best choice I've ever made, but playing around with the recipe is really half the fun of cooking.


Spring Radish Salad with Apple, Goat Cheese, & Citrus Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
Watermelon Daikon Radish, peeled & thinly sliced*
Fuji Apple, cored & thinly sliced
Spring Greens
Goat Cheese, crumbled (optional)

Chelsea's Vinaigrette (makes extra, best served with addition of grilled chicken)
3 oz. Lemon Olive Oil
2 oz. Grapefruit White Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp Grated Orange Zest
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Jullie Anne's Vinaigrette:
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Citrus Champagne Vinegar
1 tbsp Maple Syrup
Salt & Pepper, to taste 
  1. Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
  2. In a medium-size serving bowl, toss greens with radish and apple. Top with crumbled goat cheese.
  3. If serving immediately, toss salad with vinaigrette. Or, if preferred, serve vinaigrette on the side. 
*Chelsea: Just a note, I didn't peel the radishes prior to putting them into the salad I made. I googled first and you can eat the skin. I don't think there's much difference in the overall flavor of the dish, however, Jullie Anne's radish slices do look much prettier than mine do.