Egg Sandwich with Balsamic-Roasted Tomatoes & Fresh Mozzarella

I know what you're thinking: Who needs a recipe for a sandwich?? Well, I'll tell you...The kind of person that wants balsamic-roasted tomatoes and buttery scrambled eggs on their sandwich. That's who!

Fact: I could eat an egg sandwich for any meal, at any time of the day. It's a convenient, hand-held meal that never gets old. Back in high school, I used to just toast up some bread then throw on the scrambled eggs and a load of sriracha. (Literally, I would throw them on. I was usually running late for class...) I'm totally a grown up now, though...*lifts chin, straightens posture*...so, these days, I like to take my time and get fancy when making my sandwiches.

Like this morning...I woke up and went straight out the door for an appointment. I didn't even leave myself enough time to make coffee. The worst. By the time I got home, I was starving. I mean, I'm-so-hungry-that-I-will-eat-this-cheese-straight-out-of-the-package-with-absolutely-nothing-else starving...The easy fix??? An egg sandwich with balsamic-roasted tomatoes and fresh mozzarella!



Step 1: Slice the cherry tomatoes in half. This just helps them roast, and get nice and juicy more quickly.

It also gives the tomatoes more surface area for the balsamic vinegar to soak into! Tomatoes and balsamic are such a classic combo...all of the sweet and tart flavors!

Next, Step 2: Roast the tomatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a 425 degree oven, for about 6-8 minutes. The tomatoes will blister and bubble slightly.

While the tomatoes are in the oven, you can put together all of the other ingredients for the sandwich...The fresh mozzarella, the chopped basil, and of course, the scrambled eggs! Ever since I watched this Gordon Ramsay video, I've been obsessed with soft, buttery scrambled eggs! Follow his how-to, and yours will come out perfectly fluffy every time! And one last note: I actually don't season mine with salt, at all. Instead, I add a generous spoonful of parmesan cheese.



Finally, top one slice of bread with the scrambled eggs. Make sure to use a thick, hearty bread!

Layer on the roasted tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil. (And, yes, I was thinking of Caprese Salad when I made this!)

Top everything off with the remaining slice of bread, then you're ready to dig in! Whether it's for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, this sandwich is delicious and so filling! I love the juicy tomatoes, the creamy cheese, and the rich eggs...all between two slices of toasty, hearty bread! Even if you're in a rush, you can still treat yourself to something delicious. ;)


Egg Sandwich with Balsamic-Roasted Tomatoes & Fresh Mozzarella

Print Recipe
Ingredients:
6-8 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1/2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 large Eggs
1 tbsp Grated Parmesan
6-8 Fresh Mozzarella Ciliegine
1-2 tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil
2 slices Toasted Bread
  1. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss lightly with a spoon to coat the tomatoes evenly, then spread the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast at 425 degrees for 6-8 minutes, just until blistered and bubbling.
  2. To cook eggs, add the butter and eggs to a small saucepan over low heat. Stir continuously with a heat-proof spatula or wooden spoon to scramble. When the eggs have thickened and are creamy, add the parmesan. Stir to combine and finish cooking for about 1 more minute. (Eggs should be soft and fluffy!)
  3. Top one slice of toasted bread with the scrambled eggs, roasted tomatoes, mozzarella, and chopped fresh basil. Top with remaining slice of toasted bread.
  4. Slice, serve immediately, and enjoy!