Sparkling Pass-O-Guava

Sometimes, my dad will go off and enjoy Golf Days. He'll play a round with friends or his brother, as many as 36 holes if the weather's nice, and then they'll have dinner afterwards. This usually leads to my mom sitting around and watching Filipino soap operas.

So, sometimes...on one of Dad's Golf Days...Mom and I have Girls Day.

My mom loves when I whisk her away for some girls-only bonding. Shopping, sushi dates, movies, Once Upon A Time, drinks... This past Sunday, though, it was all about the farmers' market and mimosas. We spent most of the morning buying fresh tropical fruits, so I decided to do a tropical take on our brunch-time mimosas: Sparkling Pass-O-Guava!


First, remember how I got a ton of calamansi from my brother-in-law? Well...My mom recently went to her sister's in San Jose and picked even more.

The ones that she gave me were much larger and looked like oranges. What was I supposed to do with all of these?!?



There's a saying... When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

How about...When life gives you calamansi, make juice. (Want to talk about instant air freshener? Squeezing calamansi makes your kitchen and surrounding rooms smell amazing!)


These calamansi made a lot of juice. (I loved how my brother-in-law's calamansi juice was yellow and my aunt's turned out orange.) And, when life gives you a lot of juice, grab some champagne! Or something like that...


I grabbed some passionfruit juice and guava juice, too (from fresh guavas that I bought during Mom and I's aforementioned market trip!). Combined with the calamansi, this makes my twist on Pass-O-Guava juice, an extremely popular blend in Hawai'i and my personal favorite. (Side note: I bought a bottle of Santa Cruz Organic recently, just to try it out, but I didn't care much for its flavor. I would even prefer Welch's over this stuff.)


To complete our mimosas, I just needed the booze! Mini Sofia Blanc de Blancs are great for sparkling wine cocktails. It's a blend of pinot blanc, muscat, and riesling. Not to mention, the adorable pink cans are perfect for a girls-only themed day! They even come with straws, "to take anywhere--anytime you feel like sparkling."

St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur is made from the white, star-shaped blossoms of the elderflower, and its flavor profile pairs so well with tropical fruits. As the St. Germain website so eloquently puts it, "Neither passionfruit nor pear, grapefruit nor lemon, the sublime taste of St. Germain hints at each of these and yet none of them exactly."

To make a single cocktail, I combined 2 parts passionfruit juice, 1 part guava juice, 1 part calamansi juice, and 1 part St. Germain in a martini shaker filled with ice. After shaking to blend and chill, I poured the mixture into a champagne flute. I topped off with enough sparkling wine to fill the glass and dropped in a couple slices of fresh guava. You could garnish with slices of orange or calamansi, as well.

Sweet, tart, tropical, bubbly... This is a refreshing take on the beloved mimosa. If you're catering to a larger crowd, blend the juices in a pitcher and thoroughly chill. The Sofia Blanc De Blancs also comes in a bottle. (Wrapped in pink cellophane!) Try serving this island-inspired version for your next brunch! Or, at your next Girls Day gathering ;)



Sparkling Pass-O-Guava (single serving)

Print Recipe

Ingredients:
2 parts Passion Fruit Juice
1 part Guava Juice
1 part Freshly Squeezed Calamansi or Orange Juice
1 part St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
Champagne or Sparkling Wine, chilled
Guava or Citrus Slices, for garnish
  1. Pour juices and St. Germain into a martini shaker filled with ice. Shake to blend and chill, then pour into a champagne flute.
  2. Top with champagne or sparkling wine to fill glass. Garnish with guava or citrus slices. Enjoy!